Reflect on your understanding of “folio thinking.”
Folio thinking is a reflective practice that situates and guides the effective use of learning portfolios, defined as a purposeful collection of artifacts that characterize the learning experiences of the portfolio owner. Folio thinking, to me, means the collection of work that a person has spent their time on in order to broadcast what they have learned or what knowledge they have gained over time. Folio thinking reflects on what a person may believe, think, act, etc. I like that there overall is not a wrong or right thing to say or do when it comes to your own personal portfolio. I think portfolios are better than the other forms of assessments because those assessments are graded more on a numerical bases rather than production bases. With portfolios, you are able to see growth overtime more accurately and visually. With the other forms of assessment, numbers are all we have to compare, and we really can't see the person's actual work that way, just their grades.
Out of the two options, I wouldn't mind either choice (I mean we are bound to have to do both at some point in time). However, I would prefer choice B. I like the idea of a teacher giving me a prompt, and allowing me to use what I know or learned to come up with an ending. I think I have more leeway and freedom when I am able to think based on what I know. I also like to be creative with representing and showing off what I have learned in many forms besides the regular assessments. This will give me a chance to reflect on my own learning and growth.
Identify technology affordances.
Physical portfolios are too much to handle. If you have a ton of collections of work, you wouldn't want to keep it in a folder to clutter and build up. Having an electronic portfolio is easier to save and handle. If there were any updates or changes to be made, it is easier to just go to the computer and edit the change that needs to be made. With the world of technology we have now, technology is a more appropriate manner for presenting any work or collection of work. The digital/electronic portfolios are easier to carry around too (just keep it on a flash drive). With an electronic portfolio, you can add more features to a portfolio so that it doesn't seem so boring like a paper one. Size is the main thing that makes the electronic portfolios better than the paper portfolios. I will be using Weebly for my portfolio.
Shift context/perspective.
I would allow my students to do as we did in this class. I would (depending on the grade level) give them a list of choices or let them browse different eportfolio websites and tools. I would allow them to choose the one they think they could handle. I would not want to choose a particular one for them, that takes the fun out of the process of creating their own eportfolio. I would only set the guidelines of what I will look for in the portfolios-almost like a rubric. The students can take what I give them and set up their own portfolio.
Create something. I am working on this
http://kenyastandokes.weebly.com
No comments:
Post a Comment